On days you don’t have time to babysit pancake puddles until they puff up (i.e. every monday-friday), you grab a jar of chia pudding overnight oats and GO.
No hassling in the kitchen when you’re already running 5 minutes late. No resorting to a single slice of toast, again, because you have nothing else to conveniently grab.
If you’re craving a bit of variety from your usual grab-and-go breakfast, these overnight breakfast parfaits come bearing good news.
Not only are they nutritionally packed, but they are incredibly satiating and easy to put together. Made with simple, healthy ingredients, and (quite literally) brimming with flavor, they are a healthy foodie’s dream come true.
Overnight Chia Oat Breakfast Parfaits: HOW TO
The multiple layers may make these parfaits look intricate and tedious to put together, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. You can even just use 1 bowl!
1. CHIA PUDDING is made by combining chia seeds + milk + vanilla extract + maple syrup (or whatever sweetener you prefer). You can subtract the vanilla and syrup from the equation if you simply can’t be bothered or don’t care for the extra bit of sweetness.
2. BERRY CHIA COMPOTE is as straightforward as it sounds: berries + chia seeds + water = stovetop-free berry compote! And you can toss in a dash or two of syrup if you’d prefer less tang.
3. OVERNIGHT OATS provide a wonderfully creamy texture that offers a bit of variety from the chia pudding. Simple combine rolled oats + milk + vanilla + sweetener of choice + pinch or two salt (for good measure).
Why Start the Day With a Chia Oat Parfait?
If you’re looking for a nutrient-dense breakfast that is both filling and delicious (hard to come by, I know), you’ve hit the jackpot with these parfaits.
Chia seeds provide a good dose of brain-healthy omega 3’s, and they are also a complete source of plant-based protein. Plus, they’re SUPER satiating because they soak up a lot of liquid.
As their colorful shade suggests, berries are high in antioxidants. And blueberries, in particular, are rich in anti-inflammatory properties. The mighty little berry has been shown to improve brain function and working memory in older adults, as well as attention and memory in school children!
Rolled oats may seem uninteresting, but they are actually a power-house of a grain nutritionally speaking. Not only do they offer up a generous amount of fiber and protein, but they are especially high in beta glutens, a type of fiber that has been shown to boost beneficial gut bacteria.
Overnight Chia Pudding Oat Parfaits
Healthy make-ahead breakfast parfaits that include chia pudding, overnight oats, and a 3-ingredient berry chia compote (no stove required)!
- Chia Pudding:
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 3/4 cup milk of choice (such as coconut/almond or organic dairy)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 2-4 tsps maple syrup or other sweetener of choice (optional, add to taste based on desired sweetness)
- Chia Berry Compote:
- 1 heaping cup frozen berries of choice (I enjoy a mix of blueberries and raspberries)
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1-2 tsps maple syrup or other sweetener (optional, add if your berries aren't sweet and you'd prefer less tang)
- Overnight Oats:
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2/3 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 2-4 tsps maple syrup or other sweetener (optional, add to taste)
- Pinch salt
- Optional Toppings:
- Thick yogurt
- Nut or seed butter, such as almond or peanut butter
- Shredded coconut
- Pumpkin, sunflower, or hemp seeds (or whichever seeds you enjoy!)
- Chopped nuts
- Protein powder (simply stir ~1-2 tbsps into the chia pudding or oats)
To make the chia seed pudding, combine the chia pudding ingredients in a bowl. Add sweetener if using. Divide between the two jars and leave to thicken while you make the compote.
Make the chia berry compote by pouring 1/4 cup hot water over the berries. Slightly mash the berries and coat in hot water so they soften. Stir in the 1 tbsp chia seeds, and sweetener if desired. It will seem a little watery, but will thicken up overnight.
Give the thickened chia pudding a good stir before spooning over the berry compote.
To make the overnight oats simply combine the ingredients together in the previously used bowl. Add sweetener to taste, before dividing the oats between the two jars. Press the oat mixture down so that it melds a little with the berries and is lightly submerged in liquid. Cover and refrigerate overnight! Store in the fridge and consume within ~3 days.