INTRODUCING… *drumroll*… no-bake carrot cake that is PROTEIN-PACKED + 100% fruit-sweetened!
(No, this is not a virtual mirage. Yes, you are in fact viewing a real recipe.)
These carrot cake bites are a bit difficult to categorize– they’re cupcake-shaped, but don’t require an oven or any conventional cake ingredients– soooo… let’s skip the labels and jump straight to the point: they’re nutritious, delicious, + crazy easy to put together!
These protein carrot cake bites have a lot to shout from the rooftops about, namely–
Their delicious spiced flavor
SOFT & cakey texture
Lack of added sugar (!!)
100% plant-based ingredients
Absence of gluten/grains
+ 2-ingredient “cream cheese” frosting!
Hoorah for recipes that are satisfyingly sweet and nutrient-dense. Don’t forget to leave a comment and rating below if you decide to give this recipe a try 🙂
No-Bake Protein Carrot Cake Bites
100% fruit-sweetened carrot cake that is high in protein, gluten/grain-free, vegan, and requires no oven!
- 1/2 packed cup pitted dates (soaked in hot water for ~10 min if not already soft)
- 1 small-medium carrot (~1/3 heaped cup chopped)
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 40 g (~3-4 tbsps) vanilla/coconut pea protein (I used Two Island's protein)
- 2 tbsps coconut flour
- 2 tbsps ground flaxseed
- 2 tbsps coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 tsps ground cinnamon (add slightly more/less to taste)
- 1/8-1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (add to taste)
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 heaping cup thick yogurt (preferably Greek or coconut for a tangy, cream cheese-esque flavor)
- 15 g (1 1/2- 2 tbsps) salted caramel pea protein (or use vanilla/coconut)
Blend the walnuts until finely ground, and add the meal to a large bowl along with all of the other dry ingredients. Stir to combine.
Add the softened dates and chopped carrot to a food processor or blender, and blend until they've broken down into little bits. Scrape the mixture into the bowl and pour over the melted coconut oil. Fold/stir everything together until a soft dough forms.
Taste and add more spice, vanilla, or protein powder if you'd like more of a specific flavor. Divide the mixture between ~6 cupcake liners and pop in the freezer as you make the frosting (if skipping the frosting, put them straight in the fridge to firm up overnight or for at least several hours).
Make the frosting by simply stirring together the yogurt and protein powder; add more protein powder or vanilla extract/sweetener to taste. Top each cupcake with a dollop of frosting before sprinkling on some seeds/cinnamon and returning to the fridge to set.